Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Blog Topic #2


I believe eighteen year olds should not be kicked out until they feel confident to adapt to the outside world. From the two articles, Mr. Brunetta, a former “bamboccione”, suggests to the Italian government to propose a law, which states individuals who are over the age of eighteen, should be kicked out of the house. Personally, I do not agree with Mr. Brunetta. Individuals who do not have a steady income, or are not financially ready should not move away from home. Reason being is because this action might cause an influx of homelessness. With not enough money to pay mortgages and rent, it may cause bankruptcy to an individual and eventually losing their home. Most people do want to move away and become independent however due to personal reasons.

Although I do not promote the law Mr. Brunetta is proposing, but I also do not believe people who are capable of living on their own should still live within their parent’s house. Living on your own is a big responsibility as there is no one to “make the bed” for you. Doing your own laundry, making your own food, and keeping the house nice and clean is a daily routine. Seeing that Mr. Brunetta lived with his parents for thirty years, he should not criticize other people who are doing the same action as he did in the past. With a decline in the economy, it is harder for individuals to find or maintain their current jobs. Statistics shows how a greater amount of citizens has been using the food bank on a weekly basis than in the past. Instead of forcing children to leave their parent’s house when they turn eighteen, the government should be focused on improving the economy as well as eliminating or at least lower the percentage of homelessness.

Living at your parents until you are forty is a bit on the extreme side. However, I believe it is better for them to live under a roof than on the streets. Instead of living off their parent’s money, they should at least pay for groceries, and possibly rent.

In the future, I will eventually purchase my own house when I feel confident and ready. Although, I would invite my parents to live with me as I do worry about their growing age. Seeing how they have raised me for these past eighteen years, I think I should do something for them in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment